Tour Details Book Now
- Type of Tour: Private Walking Tour (Licensed Guide)
- Duration: 2 hours
- Tour highlights: Cà Rezzonico, San Sebastiano, Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute, Fondamenta delle Zattere, Scuola Grande dei Carmini, Squero di San Trovaso, Giudecca Canal, Campo Santo Stefano and Galleria dell’Accademia (view from outside).
- Meeting Point: Campo Santo Stefano.
- Max. Size of your Party: up to 7 people.
- Price: 280 EUR in total for a party of 1 to 7 people (excluding any entrance ticket)
- Cancellation: full refund if we receive your notice at least 1 week before the tour date, 100% cancellation fee otherwise
During this 2-hour tour, our licensed guide will give an introduction tour of the Dorsoduro district which is both bohemian, young and artsy, a little bit like Montmartre in Paris. It occupies the Southwestern part of Venice (nicknamed the "Rive Gauche" - Left Bank), wedged between the Grand Canal and the Giudecca Canal. From the imposing domes of La Salute Basilica to the humble tenements near the stazione marittima, to the vibrancy of Campo Santa Margarita, Dorsoduro offers a little bit of everything for visitors. The district is characterized by the presence of 4 major art museums: the Accademia Galleries, the Venetian 18th century Museum (Ca’ Rezzonico), the Peggy Guggenheim Collection and the new ‘Punta della Dogana’, Francois Pinault’s private collection of modern art. Besides the museums, another defining element of the neighborhood is the presence of many young people studying at either Ca’Foscari University, or the Fine Arts Academy. This lends freshness and a casual atmosphere to the entire area. Ezra Pound, John Ruskin, Cole Porter and Robert Browning were residents at one time, Add to this a sprinkle of famous artisans’ shops and much interesting architecture, like Ca’ Foscari and Ca’ Rezzonico, both splendid palaces on the Grand Canal, or the picturesque Gothic houses in Campo Santa Margherita, and you’ll see why this is one of the most desirable places to visit in Venice. Then your passionate guide will take you around what used to be the private house of Agostino Chigi, a rich Sienese banker and the treasurer of Pope Julius II. Chigi commissioned the fresco decoration of the villa by artists such as Raphael, Sebastiano del Piombo, Giulio Romano, and Il Sodoma.
Our licensed expert guide is at your disposal so that he/she stops as much as you wish and gives you deeper explanation about what you see. You are in command, this is YOUR private tour of the Dorsoduro District.
If you have no special request, we will show you as much as we can, to give you the best overview of the Dorsoduro district, so that you get your bearings.
If you have special request, do not hesitate to share them with us in comments when you book the tour online.